Wednesday, October 26, 2011

I need to vent...bad...

So for over a year now I have been consumed with weight loss and I am soooo tired of it. I feel like I don't go more than an hour anymore without thinking about my weight or worrying about what I have eaten. I am starting to think I was happier before I started all this. I am starting to worry that I am going to be like this forever and never be happy with my self. Everywhere you look there are beautiful skinny women plastered on magazine covers and TV. What is happening to people? When did it become okay for women to be 5"10 and 100 pounds? And the media is not the only place we see it, even doctors are telling us that we much fit between certain numbers and if you don't then there is something wrong with you, it seems like there is no consideration for body types. Being short does not mean that you have to weigh 100 lbs. It makes me so mad that all the tv shows seem to revolve around weight loss and diets, ever commerical seems to be about some new weight loss drug or workout machine. Yeah, that's a great lesson to teach our children.. Ignore that these diet pills will cause heart problems and maybe death..it's more important that you are skinny. And another thing that bothers me is that if you ask most normal men what they find attractive most will tell you a women with curves, but for some reason all the men on TV and in magazines telling us what we should look like seem to be gay.. (please don't think I am against gay people in any way).
I am so afraid that because I have been so consumed by my weight loss and dieting, that my girls are going to see that and develop the same problems. Women come in so many shapes and sizes and we are all beautiful in our own ways, and being healthy should come before anything else. Inner beauty is so much more important that outer beauty, and that should be the number one thing taught to our young girls, but unfortunately that is not the message being sent to our young girls. Girls are taught from such a young age that looks are the most important thing, forget being smart.. If you are skinny and beautiful then you can find a man to take care of you. In the old days if a women had large child bearing hips they were a catch, I think being skinny is way overrated, and I am sick and tired of my life revolving around my looks. I am going to start waking up every morning and saying to my self that I am beautiful no matter what I weight and be happy with my self, and eventually I will start to believe it. I have so many things to be thankful for, I am healthy, I have two beautiful healthy daughters and a husband that I love more than words. I can only hope that more women start to think better about themselves and start to stand up against stereotypes.

1 comments:

Kassy Whetten said...

Amen sister. Amen. I have started to really just ask myself a lot of these same things and I need to remind myself about all this too. Thanks Audra. Glad I am not the only one that feels all that. :)